Orting

I list this as “genealogical” information; there is little in depth information here but it is a list of people I have come across in my research and found some tidbit of information that may be of assistance to someone.

Note also that I have listed names alphabetically, however, there is no guarantee that all people listed under a particular last name are related.  Where I have found information to link them I have included it, otherwise it may just be someone who shares the same last name.

I hope there is something of value to someone available here.  I also welcome corrections and additional information you may have.

  • ALVEY:
    • S. B. –
      • Hop farmer around mid 1880’s
  • ANDERSON:
    • Effie –
      • Provided photos of the Whitesell family for A. Rushton’s book; section written by Mrs. J. C. Taylor AKA Margaret Whitesell.
    • Louise Marie –
      • Wife of Mr. Anderson
      • Maiden name, Koehler
  • ANTOINE:
    • Annie – (Germaine) Atoine
    • Clarence –
      • Son, (grandson?),  of William and Sophie, brother of Lorene
    • Ina –
    • Lorene –
      • Daughter, (Granddaughter?), of William and Sophie, sister of Clarence.
    • Louisa –
      • (Antonie) Rudnick
    • Marvin –
      • Provided the photo of the Antonie’s and Rudnick’s that appears on pp219 of The History of the Town of Orting.  Rushton, 1981
    • Sophie –
      • (Voortman).  Wife of William.
    • Sophie –
      •  (Wickman) Antonie
    • William, (Fritz?) –
      • Family who came from  Hanover Germany via Hawaiian sugar fields to the west coast on promise of work, 1887.
  • ARNDT:
    • Unkn. –
      • Family who came from Hawaii to the west coast on promise of work.
  • BEATTY:
    • W. G. –
      • Barber in 1922
  • BECKETT:
      • Family arrived in Orting in 1864; had to clear land heavily forested with alder, cottonwood and cedar.
    • Amy –
      • Daughter of Henry and Hannah
      • Married James Coplan on 1897
    • Hannah –
      • Wife of Henry, Mother of Amy
    • Henry –
      • Husband of Hannah, father of Amy
      • Prosperous hop farmer
    • P. –
      • Hop farmer around mid 1880’s
  • BERRY:
    • George M. –
      • Margaret Whitesell’s third teacher.
      • Army Chaplin
  • BOATMAN:
    • Earnest A. –
      • Early settler family, post 1870
      • About 1889 established the Orting Light and Water Co., later known as Boatman Water C. with Frederick Eldredge as his partner.  Later bought out Eldredge.  In 1925 sold the system to the city.
      • Financed the Bucket Factory, did timber and railroad business, farmer, held land and established oyster farms.  He was one of the more successful citizens in Orting.
      • 17th Mayor of Orting, 1930-1932
      • During WWII, while in his 80’s, was an airplane spotter, climbing the tower to serve from 11pm to 1am.
      • Had 214 acres next to what is now High Cedars Golf Course
      • Moved to town in 1902
    • Willis –
      • Father of Earnest.  Came to the Puget Sound area about 1853.  Lived to be 100.  Had six children; Earnest and two other boys and three girls.
    • Mary Ann –
      • Wife of Willis, maiden name, Richardson
    • John W. –
      • Son of Willis and Mary Ann
    • Charles Henry –
      • Son of Willis and Mary Ann
    • Caddie –
      • Daughter of Willis and Mary Ann
    • Lettie Bell –
      • Daughter of Willis and Mary Ann
    • Lucy Mae –
      • Daughter of Willis and Mary Ann
  • BONDER:
    • Joe –
      • Around 1908 owned a farm in the vicinity of Orting Lake.
  • BOWLIN:
    • James –
      • With Jane, bought 12.59 acres from Fred Eldredge.
    • Jane –
  • BROWN:
    • W.W.
      • On work crew that built the Odd Fellows Hall in 1904.
  • BUCK:
    • L. –
      • 11th Mayor of Orting, 1911-1913
  • BUELL:
    • John L. –
      • 5th Mayor of Orting, 1896-1898
  • BUCKINGHAM:
    • Bonnie –
      • Better know as Bonnie Guitar, born March 25, 1923 and was a well know musician in the 1950’s; one of the first successful crossovers from country music to pop.  In the 1960’s she and husband, Mario DiPiano lived on an 82 acre ranch outside Orting.
  • CALLENDAR:
    • Mel –
  • CARRIGAN:
    • Andy –
      • Casey’s brother
    • Casey –
      • Orting High graduate who participated in the 1969 Olympic games in Mexico City.  Disqualified after 16’1″ pole vault when his pole fell forward breaking the plane of the bar.  That rule was omitted the following May.
      • DOB 2/4/1951. Puyallup.
      • Was self-trained, he and his brothers built a pit filled with wood chips and sand for him to practice.   Trained without a coach.
      • In 2004 still held State record at 17′ 4 3/4″
      • Trained for the ’76 olympics, made a jump of 17′ 10 3/4″ but suffered an Achilles tendon injury that ended his pole vaulting career.
      • Became a firefighter in Long Beach, CA.  Was a captain in 2004.
    • Clance –
      • Casey’s brother.
    • Dione –
      • Casey’s wife.
    • Mike –
      • Casey’s brother
    • Tim –
      • Casey’s brother
  • CASEY:
    • Col. –
      • Commanding officer, Ft. Steilacoom.
  • COE;
    • B. A. –
      • 18th Mayor of Orting, 1932-1934
  • COLOROSSI:
    • Guy S. –
      • 30th Mayor of Orting, 1967-1974
  • COOK:
    • Dr. –
      • First Dr. on staff at the Soldier’s home.  Fee was $4 per visit.
  • COPE:
    • Bill –
      • Pharmacist, purchased the business from Ray Simonton in 1962
  • COPLAN:
    • Amy –
      • nee Beckett, wife of James, married 1897.
      • Parents were Henry and Hannah Beckett, who came to Orting about 1864.
    • James –
      • Came to the valley approx. 1897
      • Had a house built at 102 E. Bridge St. in 1901
      • Married Amy Beckett in 1897
    • W. H. –
      • 23rd Mayor of Orting, 1948-1952
  • CURTIS:
    • John –
      • The second veteran to enter the Soldier’s Home, he had served three years in the Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, Johnsburg, Vermont.
  • DEATRY:
    • Emil –
      • John Engfer’s father-in-law.
      • Had 11 children
      • Came from France
    • Emil Jr. –
      • Son of Leora and Emil
      • Married Virginia Owen
    • James –
      • Son of leora and Emil.
      • Married Bessie Wamsley
    • June –
      • nee Richardson
      • Leora and Emil’s Daughter
    • Kenneth –
      • Son of Leora and Emil
      • Married Donna Godwin
    • Leora –
      • nee Marvin, wife of Emil Sr.
    • Leora –
      • Daughter of Leora and Emil
      • Married Ernest Engfer
    • Lorraine –
      • nee Mulford
      • Leora and Emil’s daughter
    • Lucille –
      • Leora and Emil’s daughter
      • Married Gale Weaver
    • Madeline –
      • nee Fredrick
      • Leora and Emil’s daughter
    • Margaruite –
      • nee Engfer
      • Wife of John, son of Barbara and Fred?
      • Married 1936
  • DeVORE:
    • Rev. –
      • Methodist Minister at Ft. Steilacoom
  • DiPiano:
    • Mario –
      • Husband of Bonnie Buckingham, AKA Bonnie Guitar.
  • EIDE:
    • Nina –
      • Came to Orting in 1926 as a school teacher, met and married Burnett Thompson.  One of 9 children whose parents came from Norway.  Became a teacher at Pacific Lutheran College in Tacoma.
  • ELDREDGE:
    • Frederick E. –
      • In 1880, claimed the abandoned Varner/Gunson property, then filed a town site plat and founded what would become Orting.
      • First Mayor of Orting, 1889-1890
      • From New York, very much a promoter, stout build, stylish dresser.
      • At some point took over the Orting Oracle Newspaper.
      • Borrowed heavily for promotions of Orting 1887-90 but was ruined in the panic of 1891-98.  He gave up on Orting and left when the Northern Pacific Railroad moved their main line from Orting.
      • Bank filed foreclosure of mortgage against Eldredge.
      • Around 1889, formed the Orting light and power Co. with E. A. Boatman.  Eldredge had no money so Boatman financed it and later bought Eldredge out.
      • Eldredge was a school teacher, organizer/ promoter who obtained land by jumping uncompleted claims.
      • In a section of, History of Orting…Rushton, information written about Earnest Boatman in the 1930’s indicates that, “Eldredge promoted the construction or what was then the finest hotel in these parts.  It stands facing Triangle Park just across the street from Boatman’s home.  It is now an apartment building.”
  • ENGFER;
    • Barbara J. –
      • Listed as age 71 in 2013.
      • Son, John K. and husband, Fred K. listed as relatives.
    • Bertha –
      • Daughter of Karl and Pauline
    • Dora –
      • Daughter of Karl and Pauline
    • Dorothy (Papke) –
      • Wife of Julius, mother of Karl.
    • Edith –
      • Daughter of Karl and Pauline
      • Married Henry Knaack
    • Elizabeth –
      • Daughter of Karl and Pauline
    • Erna –
      • Daughter of Karl and Pauline
      • Born 10/21/1910 by Willows Pond, South Hill, Puyallup
      • Married to Norman Jasmer in 1929
      • Divorced in 1943
      • Worked for Tony Cammerano at the Mazza Cheese factory
      • 2 sons, Frank and Fredrick Jasmer (Harmier).  No indication where the name “Harmier” came from.
    • Ernest A. –
      • Son of Karl and Pauline
      • Was 26 at the time of the 1940 census
      • Husband of Leora Deatry
      • Father of Oscar and Norman
    • Fred K. –
      • Husband of Barbara
      • Father of John K.
      • Born 11/20/1939
      • Died 7/26/2003
    • Frederick –
      • Son of John and Margaruite
      • Married Barbara Angeline
    • Herman –
      • Son of John and Margaruite
      • Married Cletus Grubbs
    • John Fredrick –
      • In 1983 was 93 years old.
      • Born in 1895
      • Died 2/10/1990
      • Wife was Margaruite
      • Master basket weaver, taught Frank Swalander.
      • Built barns for Imoff and Shodde in Buckley
      • Built 140 ft. dairy barn for the Fohn farm in LaConnor.
      • Built the Spooner hop barn in Alderton
      • Built the brick house at the corner of Corrin Av. and Whitesell St. for the Rolfe family
      • Built the John Gratzer residence.
      • Built a home for his parents in 1921 at the corner of Varner and Bridge.
      • In 1932, took over the family farm at 510 Washington Av., which had been leased to others.
    • John Fredrick –
      • Son of Barbara and Fred K.
      • Named after his grandfather
    • Julius –
      • Father of Karl, husband of Dorothy Papke
    • Karl Frederick –
      • Married to Pauline Arndt Engfer
      • Born 8/11/1861
      • Died 9/25/1939 in Orting
      • Accident in 1922 left him unable to work
      • Son of Julius Engfer
    • Karl Jr. –
      • Son of Karl and Pauline
    • Margaruite –
      • Wife of John
      • Died 1944
    • Margaruite –
      • Daughter of Karl and Pauline
    • Marie –
      • See Pauline
    • Martin –
      • Son of John and Margaruite
      • Died as a result of a logging accident n 1969
    • Max –
      • Son of Karl and Pauline
      • 1940 census – single, age 22
    • Minnie –
      • Daughter of John and Margaruite
      • Married Leo Larrew
    • Minnie –
      • Daughter of Karl and Pauline
      • Married Edmund Braun
    • Norman –
      • Son of Ernest and Leora
    • Oscar –
      • Son of Ernest and Leora
    • Pauline –
      • John’s mother, Karl’s wife.
      • Maiden name was Hammerstein?
      • First name may have been Marie, obituary for Erna gives her mother’s name as Marie Pauline Arndt Engfer.
      • 1940 census gave name as Pauline M., age 70. lived with son, Ernest A.
      • Died 1951
    • Engfer’s were among the German families who came from the sugar plantations in Kauai in search of work, answering the advertisements of the likes of fred Eldredge.
  • EVANS:
    • James –
      • Employed John Engfer
  • FRANK:
    • R –
      • Second Dr. at Soldier’s home
  • FREEMAN:
    • George –
      • Engineer on logging train that ran from Ellensburg to Orting.
  • FREER:
    • Hortense –
      • Married William Thompson, moved to Orting in 1893.
      • They had three children, see “Thompson.”
      • Died 1953
  • GALE:
    • Joseph Marion –
      • A resident of the soldier’s home, passed away at the age of 77 in 1913.
      • Born in Illinois
      • Teacher, newspaper editor and soldier in two Indian wars and the Civil War.
      • Buried at Soldier’s Home cemetery
  • GANNON:
    • (Old soldier) –
      • Worked for Muehler’s Hop Yard Sept. 1911
  • GEORGE:
    • Martin –
      • Married Josephine Whitesell.
    • Josephine –
      • Maiden name, Whitesell
  • GOVE:
    • Dr. –
      • One time owner of home built by the Mueller family at 212 E. Calistoga; later re-addresses as 101 S. Varner St.
  • GRIGGS:
    • Col. Chauncey Wright –
      • St.Paul and Tacoma Lumber Co. started under his leadership in 1888.
      • From St. Paul, Minnesota.
    • Herbert S. –
      • Attorney for the railroad syndicate, 1891
      • Apparently died during the depression of 1893
  • GRIMM:
    • Unkn. –
      • Family who came from Hawaii to the West Coast on promise of work.
  • GROFF:
    • Margaret –
      • Town clerk circa. 1937
  • GRUBBS:
    • Cletus –
      • Wife of Herman Engfer
  • GUNSON:
    • George –
      • In 1861, bought claim of Daniel Varner abandoned in 1855 only to abandon it himself in 1861.
  • HAGGARD:
    • M –
      • Hop farmer around mid 1800’s
  • HALL:
    • Isaac Newton –
      • A resident of the Soldier’s Home, the last living soldier from the Grand Army of the Republic.
      • Passed away in Oct. 1940, Buried in Orting Soldier’s home
  • HAMMOND:
    • W –
      • Hop farmer around mid 1800’s
  • HARDEFELDT:
    • P –
      • Hop farmer around mid 1800’s
  • HARDTKE:
    • Unknown –
      • Family who came from Hawaii sugar fields to the west coast on promise of work.
  • HARMAN:
    • Harry V. –
      • 7th Mayor of Orting, 1906-1907.
      • Father of H. Wayne
      • Son of William and Melissa
    • Icey –
      • Son of William and Melissa
      • With Harry, owned what is, as of 2013, Cope’s pharmacy which they purchased from Dr. Stratton in 1897
      • Musician, trained at New England Conservatory of Music in Boston.
      • Organized bands in Orting; leader of the Puyallup band for some time.
      • Husband of Minna Weisner.
    • Melissa –
      • Wife of William
      • Mother of Harry and Icey
      • Grandmother of H. Wayne.
    • Minna/Minnie –
      • Unsure if maiden name was Weisner or Wiesner
      • Wife of Icey G.
      • Fine piano player and teacher
    • William –
      • On City Council 1891
      • Husband of Melissa, father of Harry and Icey.
  • HEADLEY:
    • Thomas –
      • had one of the original 1854 Donation Land claims that became part of, or was adjacent to, what would become the city of Orting.
      • After Indian attacks of Oct., 1855, the family did not return to their claim.
      • Around 1853 he and family were traveling with the Longmire party, attempting to build a road across Naches.
  • HESS:
    • Unknown –
      • Early settler family, post 1870
  • HILLEY:
    • J. E. –
      • Hop farmer around mid 1880’s
  • JOHNS”
    • Mac –
      • At one time, owned house built by the Mueller family, then located at 212 E. Calistoga but later re-addressed as 101 S. Varner.
  • KISTENMACHER:
    • WilhelmenaMagnaline Marie, (Minnie) –
      • Married Fred Muehler in 1900
      • Came to America with parents, Hans Henry and Christine (Derlss) Kistenmacher in 1874.
      • Homesteaded in Spanaway in 1887
  • KOEHLER:
    • Helene –
    • Hugo –
      • Father of Karl, Max, Reinhart and Richard.
    • Karl –
      • Arrived in Orting with brother, Paul, in 1892.
      • Master gardener.
      • With Paul, purchased the old Woolery place; 15 acres in hops, an orchard, cows and the oldest hop kiln in the area
      • Married Elsie Stilke in 1919
    • Karl Jr. –
    • Louise Marie –
      • Married name was Anderson.
    • Max –
      • Brother of Karl, Paul, Richard and Reinhart.
    • Paul –
      • First person buried in the new Soldier’s Cemetery, 1905
      • Brother of Karl, Max, Richard and Reinhart.
    • Reinhart –
      • Brother of Karl, Max, Paul and Richard
      • With Richard, was already in Orting when Paul and Karl arrived
    • Richard –
      • See Reinhart
  • KUKKAGAR:
    • H. S. –
      • 2nd Mayor of Orting, 1890-1892
  • LANE:
    • A –
      • Hop farmer around mid 1880’s
    • Daniel –
      • With his family, had one of the 1854 Donation Land Claims that became, or was nearby, the city of Orting.
      • In about 1853 was part of the Longmire party attempting to build a road across the Naches.  While doing so, lost his wagon when they were being lowered down cliffs.
    • W –
      • Hop farmer around mid 1880’s
  • LARREW:
    • Matilda –
      • Operated a restaurant and boarding house located between the American Legion Hall and Train Avenue.
  • LEACH:
    • J. B. –
      • Married Nancy Ellen Whitesell.
      • Provided lodging for the Whitesell’s on their way back to their Donation Land Claim in 1860
  • LEAVITT:
    • Amanda M. (Patten) –
      • Mother of Charles, wife of Joseph T.
    • Charles J. –
      • Born in Ripley, Maine, 4/8/1868
      • Diary talks about his living on a ranch in Orting, going back and forth to Tacoma to work as a logger.
      • Quote from his diary, 1890: “March 10th, Went to Orting, got check cashed.  $15.82.  Missed train.  Walked to Alderton with Jack Meek.  Took Gravel Train no. 6335 for Tacoma.  Stopped until 6 o’clock.  Came back to saloon.  Found Jack.  Took supper.   Went to Post Office.  Nothing.  stopped at Empire Lodging House
      • Quote from his 1890 diary:  “April 9th, bright morning.  Quit camp.  Came to Tacoma on logging train.  Registered at Weston Hotel.  Got supper at ‘Boca’.  Went to Post Office.  Got a letter from Eliza, one letter in Orting.  Went to Matinee Theatre.”
    • Joseph T. –
      • Father of Charles, husband of Amanda Patten.
      • Lived in Washington 1886-1891 (approx.)
  • LEE:
    • Thomas –
      • Hop farmer who worked with Eldredge to bring people to the town.  Promoted the town to German immigrants in Hawaii who had worked for Spreckles sugar and been promised passage to the west coast.  Lee hired them to grow hops.
    • M. –
      • Some time before 1897 sold his pharmacy to Dr. Stratton.
  • LESHI:
    • Chief of the Nisqually’s.  Fall of 1885 rumors had come to the settlers of pending indian attacks.  Leshi was sought to help quell hostilities.  Oct. 28 that year three White River families were killed and settlers from Orting and surrounding areas moved to Fort Steilacoom for protection.  Leshi was hanged pursuant to an attach on a group of men returning to the Fort which resulted in the death of A. Benton and Joseph Miles.
    • Recommend further reading on the life of Chief Leshi.
  • LEMON:
    • Isaac –
      • About 1885 was associated with Addison Perham
  • LONG:
    • Charles –
      • Uncle of Charles VanScoyoc
      • Operated a two-story eating place in 1891 owned by Mr. Voortman, which he had enlarged by moving another building next to it.
  • LORENZ:
    • E. A. –
      • Early settler family, post 1870
  • LOTZ;
    • Frank –
      • 9th Mayor of Orting, 1908-1910
  • MAHON:
    • Mrs. –
      • The fleeing Whitesell family stopped at the Mahon house on the way to Ft. Steilacoom to escape indian attack.  Mrs. Mahon expressed disapproval for those who would leave their homes until a man rode in with news of the White River massacre.  She then decided that fleeing was a good idea.
    • Mr. –
  • MARTIN:
    • A. A. –
      • Photographer, 1911
  • MAZZA:
    • Ed –
      • 1973 production manager at Mazza Cheese.
    • Darlyne –
      • Wife of Louis.  1973, general manager of Mazza Cheese.
    • Louis –
      • Husband of Darlyne
      • 25th Mayor of Orting, 1956-1960
      • 28th Mayor of Orting, 1964-1965
  • McKAY:
    • Donald F. M.D. –
      • 26th Mayor of Orting, 1960-1961
  • McLEAN:
    • Lot –
      • 12th Mayor of Orting, 1913-1314
  • McMAHON:
    • Jacqueline (Jackie) –
      • Born in Orting to Jack and Judy (Wright) McMahon
      • 1986 Miss Washington
      • Graduated Seattle Pacific University 1985 cum laude
      • As of 1987 was studying Commercial Contract Law with emphasis on entertainment law.
      • As of 2009 was practicing atty. in Orting.
      • 1990 competitor in Mrs. Washington pageant.
  • MEEKER:
    • Ezra –
      • Brother of Jolen and Oliver
      • Recommend further reading re:Ezra Meeker.
    • Jolen –
      • Brother of Ezra and Oliver.
    • Oliver –
      • Brother of Ezra and Jolen.
      • Was Margaret Whitesell’s second teacher.
      • Drowned on a sea trip to buy merchandise in San Francisco for his brother’s store.
  • MELLINGER:
    • B. –
      • 21st Mayor of Orting, 1944-1945
  • MILLER:
    • J. Anton –
      • With family, early settlers in the area, post 1870
  • MITCHELL:
    • Dr. –
      • Had an office in the, “Harmon Block,” at the time of sale in 1922
  • MUEHLER:
    • Bertha –
      • Daughter of Fred and Wilhelmena.
    • Bill –
      • Oldest grandson of Fred and Margaretha.
    • Carl –
      • Son of Fred and Wilhelmena
      • Husband of Laura
    • Ella –
      • Daughter of Fred and Wilhelmena
    • Fred Jr. –
      • Owned and operated Muehler’s hoop yard around 1911 with brother, William?
      • Had two brothers, one sister.
      • Left Germany in 1881, sailed around Cape Horn on his way to Hawaii
      • Arrived in Orting in 1887
      • Built house at the corner of Train and Ammons Lane.
      • Came to the area from sugar plantations in Hawaii in 1887 with the intent to check out the area, and, if he liked it, send for his parents.
      • Helped Karl Koehler add to his hop kiln
      • Married Wilhelmena, (Minnie). Kistenmacher in 1900.  Moved onto the Lorenz farm and homesteaded for years.
      • Father of Bill
    • Helene –
      • Daughter of Karl Jr.
      • Sister of Louise Marie
    • Henry –
      • Brother of Fred
    • Laura –
      • Wife of Karl
    • Lawrence –
      • Son of Fred and Wilhelmena
    • Louise Marie –
      • Daughter of Karl Jr.
      • Sister of Helene
      • Later married name was Anderson
    • Otto –
      • Owned and operated Muehler’s hop yard around 1911?
    • Mary –
      • Sister of Fred
    • Minnie –
      • See: Wilhelmena
    • Wilhelmena –
      • AKA Minnie
      • Wife of Fred Jr.
      • Mother of Bill
    • William –
      • Brother of Fred
    • William –
      • Son of Fred and Wilhelmena.
  • NEIMANN:
    • Unknown – 
      • Family who came from Hawaii to the west coast on promise of work
  • NELSEN:
    • Andrew – 
      • 16th Mayor of Orting, 1928-1930
  • NOBEL:
    • A. – 
      • Hop farmer about mid 1800’s
    • Alphredo – 
      • Worked for Muehler’s hop yard, Sept, 1911
    • Alma – 
      • Worked for Muehler’s hop yard, Sept. 1911
    • Horatio – 
      • Worked for Muehler’s hop yard, Sept. 1911
  • O’CONNOR:
    • Albert –
      • recipient of the Medal of Honor for Civil War action–See SICKLES, William H.–O’Connor was a resident of the Soldier’s home.  Corporal O’Connor died April 3rd, 1928.  Buried in Soldier’s Home Cemetery.
  • O’FARRELL:
    • James R. –
      • Family arrived in Orting area around 1870.  Owned the cemetery
      • With J. C. Taylor, arranged to move the Soldier’s Home Cemetery to higher ground.
      • Perhaps Orting’s first undertaker
      • Bought the land where cemetery is currently located and made it usable for the purpose.  Apparently maintained it for the neet 20 years.
      • 14th Mayor of Orting, 1916-1924
      • Possible hop farmer around the mid 1880′
  • OHRNER:
    • George –
      • Bought Cope’s pharmacy in 1922
  • OTTERSON:
    • Dora –
      • Farmed, west side of Sumner-Orting Hwy.
    • Sam –
  • OWEN:
    • Virginia –
      • Married Emil Deatry Jr.
  • OWENS:
    • Mr. –
      • Provided donation claim which became the Riverside Park area near Sumner.
      • Had a wife and four children
      • died around 1889
    • Mrs. –
      • Wife and widow of Mr. Owens, mother to Sarah and three other children
    • Sarah –
      • Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Owens, had three siblings, became Mrs. W. W. Sherwood.
      • Was fired from her job a government employee at Ft. Steilacoom as a result.
  • PENCIL:
    • William –
      • The first veteran to enter the Soldier’s Home on July 4, 1891.
      • Enlisted August 11,1862, in Company A. 92nd Illinois Volunteer Infantry at Freeport, Illinois.
      • Discharged 13 months later
      • He had to sign over his $12 per month income to the home.
      • When he left, he stated he was able to support himself.
  • PERKINS:
    • Unknown –
      • Early Settler family, post 1870
  • PERHAM:
    • Addison –
      • Warned the Whitesell family of pending Indian hostilities and convinced them to leave their home for safety; sith Isaac Lemon about 1885
  • RAGUSE:
    • Unknown –
      • Family who came from Hawaii to the west coast on promise of work.
      • Rented house to the Engfer family.
  • RAUCH:
    • Anton –
      • With his brother, arrived in America in 1882, then moved to Puyallup.  Anton moved to Orting and established a brewery at what would later be the corners of Tain and River Streets.
      • In 1887 the railroad arrived and with it a supply of liquor.  Anton moved to Wilkeson where he built a saloon which he called “Dam F I Know.”
      • Married Lena Kupfer, moved back to Orting and started a shingle mill.  It burned shortly thereafter
      • Moved to the, “Robinson,” homestead in Crocker and started another shingle mill in 1896 which he operated until 1904 when he sold to a Buckley Co.
      • Became a bartender at the Cammarano’s Saloon in Orting.  In 1910 the city voted to go “dry,” ending any employment in the alcohol business.
  • RAY:
    • Albert –
      • Orting High School Student in 1923
  • RICHARDSON:
    • June –
      • Maiden name was Deatry
  • ROESLI:
    • Tony –
      • Wrote a 1961 letter to the Orting Oracle about Orting Lake.
  • ROHRS:
    • Unknown –
      • Early settler family, post 1870
  • ROSS:
    • A. G. –
      • 4th Mayor of Orting, 1894-1895
    • Douglas –
      • Early worker in the mines near Wilkeson
  • ROWE:
    • W. W. –
      • Apparently a carpenter at Ft. Steilacoom
      • At some point apparently married Margaret Whitesell
  • SICKLES:
    • Claude –
      • Son of William and Jennie, born 1877
    • Jennie – 
      • Wife of William, mother of Claude and William.
      • Died in 1932
    • Lewis – 
      • Son of William and Jennie, born in 1869.
    • Sgt. William H.
      • William H. Sickles was born Oct. 7, 1884 at Danube, N. Y.
      • Parents: George and Eliza Sickles
      • Sister – Gertrude
      • Joined the G. A. R., (Union Army), at Columbia County, Wisconsin at age 16.
      • according to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society, while a member of company B of the 7th Wisconsin Infantry, he and, “Comrade Corporal Albert O’Connor, ” were awarded the Medal of Honor after they, “attempted capture of a stand of Confederate colors and detachment of 9 confederates, actually taking prisoner 3 members of the detachment, dispersing the remainder, and recapturing a Union officer who was a prisoner in the hands of the detachment,” at Gravelly Run, VA, March 31, 1864.
      • Sgt. Sickles and Corporal O’Connor both ended their lives at the Orting Soldier’s home.
      • Married Jennie E. Craley
      • Died Sept. 26, 1938 at age 93
      • Last remaining Medal of Honor winner of the Civil War.
  • SIMONTON:
    • Ray –
      • Owned what is now Cope’s pharmacy; sold it to Bill Cope in 1952
  • SKINNER:
    • C. E. –
      • 27th Mayor of Orting, 1961-1964
      • 29th Mayor of Orting, 1965-1967
  • SNOOK:
    • W. W. –
      • 20th Mayor of Orting, 1941-1944
  • STILKE:
    • Elsie –
      • Married Karl Koehler in 1919
  • STEELE;
    • J. M. –
      • Sold Daniel Varner’s abandoned claim to Frederick Eldredge, early 1800’s
  • STEVENSON;
    • W. –
      • Hop farmer around mid 1800’s
  • STEWART;
    • J. P. –
      • A teacher of Margaret Whitesell’s at Ft. Steilacoom.  His assistant was Mrs. Veedor.
  • STRATTON;
    • E. G. –
      • Third Dr. at the Soldier’s Home.
      • Owned what is now Cope’s pharmacy prior to 1897
  • STREET;
    • Samuel F. –
      • First commander of the Soldier’s Home at a salary of $100/year.
      • His wife was staff matron at $500/year.
  • SWALANDER;
    • Frank –
      • Master basket weaver, trained by John Engfer.
  • TAYLOR:
    • E. F –
      • 15th Mayor of Orting, 1924-1928
    • Johnson C.
      • Donated the property on which the Odd Fellows hall was built
      • Married Margaret in 1883
      • Hop farmer, mid 1880’s
      • In 1889 he proposed turning the Soldier’s hom into a colony so that families could stay together.  They would be housed in the city and the Federal Government paid the town $100 per person per year.
      • With James O’Farrell, arranged to move the Soldier’s Home cemetery to higher ground.
      • 8th Mayor of Orting, 1907-1908
      • 10th Mayor of Orting, 1910-1911
    • Margaret –
      • Johnson’s wife, former wife of Henry Whitesell
  • THOMPSON:
    • Burnett Bowen –
      • Son of Sam and Hortense.  Worked with father in the general store from a young age.   Retired in 1970.  Excellent merchant.
      • Married Nina Eide in 1930
      • Hobbiest photographer
    • Della –
      • Married Sam?
    • Dorothy May –
      • Daughter of Sam and Hortense
    • Hortense –
      • Maiden name, Freer.
      • Married to William James
    • Sam –
      • Moved to Orting in 1891 with brother, William, and started a merchandising business.
    • Whitney Freer –
      • Son of Sam and Hortense.
      • Served in WWII, Navy.
      • Died at age 46, director of Red and White stores headquartered in Tacoma, WA.
      • Also worked with his father in the Thompson and Callendar general store
    • William James –
      • See “Sam.”
      • In 1893 he returned to Plainview, Minnesota to marry his fiancé, Hortense Freer, then returned to Orting and lived above the brother’s store.
      • In 1890 they built a house on the corner of Varner and Calistoga.
      • Died in 1928
  • TUTWILER:
    • David –
      • Provided a cabin at or near Ft. Steilacoom for the displaced Whitesell family to stay in 1885.
  • Van OGLE:
    • Mr.
      • Was a driver of the lead train in the Longmire Party, about 1883, trying to build a road west across the Naches.
  • VanSCOYOC:
    • Charles W.
      • Arrived in Orting around 1891
      • 19th Mayor of Orting, 1934-1941
      • Nephew or Charles Long.
  • Van ZONNOVELD:
    • ?? –
      • Late 1920’s, largest daffodil farmer in the Orting area.
      • Inadvertently started the Daffodil Parade tradition.
  • VARNER:
    • Daniel
      • His 1854 Donation Land Claim became most of the town of Orting.
      • After Indian attacks of 1855 did not return to claim his property.
      • Records show he sold his property to George Gunson in 1861
  • VEEDOR:
    • Mrs.
      • Teaching assistant to J. P. Stewart.
  • VOORTMAN:
    • Henry F.
      • Owned a two story eating and lodging place, The Valley House, in 1891 when Charles VanScoyoc arrived.  He expanded by adding a second story.
    • Marie –
      • Wife of Henry
    • Sophie
      • Daughter of Henry and Marie.
      • Married William Antonie.
  • WAMSLEY:
    • Bessie –
      • Wife of James Deatry
  • WEAVER-CLARK:
    • Anna
      • Mother of Gale Weaver.
      • Mother of Lucille (Deatry) Weaver
  • WEKELL:
    • Shirley M.
      • 24th Mayor of Orting, 1952-1956
  • WERNER;
    • Mr. –
      • Lived in the house at 227 S. Varner which was built for the Werner family in 1907 by Fred Mueller.
      • Owned and operated the Orting Shoe Factory.
      • The Werner’s were married in Germany in 1872; came to Orting in 1882.
  • WHITE:
    • O. C. –
      • First teacher of Margaret Whitesell
  • WHITELY:
    • John – 
      • Worked for Muehler’s Hop Yard Sept. 1911
  • WHITESELL:
    • Alex –
      • Son of Margaret and Henry
    • Anthony –
      • Son of Margaret and Henry
    • Anon. –
      • Brother born in 1861, died in 1863.
    • Calvin –
      • Son of Margaret and Henry
      • About 2 years old in 1885
    • Dora –
      • Daughter of Margaret and Henry – last child.
    • Elizabeth –
      • Daughter of Margaret and Henry
      • Later Mrs. William Lane.
      • Nicknamed Lib.
    • Henry –
      • With wife, Margaret, had one of the original 1854 Donation Land Claims that eventually became the city of Orting.
      • He and Margaret had 12 children, incl.: Nancy, Elizabeth, Margaret, Mary, Josephine, Dora, Anthony and Calvin.
    • Josephine –
      • Daughter of Margaret and Henry.
      • Born 1858
      • Later, apparently, Mrs. J. C. Taylor.
      • Wrote “The Whitesell Story”, published in A. Rushton’s book.
    • Margaret
      • Wife of Henry.
    • Margaret
      • Daughter of Margaret and Henry
      • At some point appear to have married W. W. Sherman.
    • Mary –
      • Daughter of Margaret and Henry
    • Nancy Ellen
      • Daughter of Margaret and Henry
      • Later married L. B. Leach.
    • William Henry
      • Possibly full name of Henry listed above.
    • William Henry Jr.
      • Son of Margaret and Henry.
    • *List of hop farmers from about mid 1880’s lists the Whitesell Brothers: A. Rushton’s book.
  • WICKMAN:
    • Unknown
      • Hop farmer around 1880
  • WILBUR:
    • J. H. –
      • Hop farmer mid 1880’s
  • WIESNER/WEISNER:
    • Adolf Jr. –
      • Son of Adlof and Minnie
      • Brother of Herman and Minnie.
    • Adolf Sr. –
      • Born in Warmburn, Germany.
      • Arrived in Orting 1889
      • Had a bakery and store and was once manager of Orting Creamery where, according to the Orting Oracle, he was to produce butter for the first time in 1907.
      • Husband of Minnie Gears
    • Herman –
      • Son of Adolf and Minnie
      • Brother of Adolf Jr. and Minnie Jr.
    • Minnie Jr. –
      • Sister of Adolf Jr.
      • Daughter of Adolf Sr. and Minnie.
      • Married Icey G. Harmon.
  • WILLIAMSON:
    • Reid – Possibly H. Reid
      • If so, was the 22nd Mayor of Orting, 1945-1948
    • Temple
      • With Reid, one-time owner of what is now Cope’s pharmacy
  • WOOLERY:
    • Jacob –
      • Early settler, with family, post 1870
      • Hop farmer around mid 1880’s
  • WRIGHT:
    • B.
      • Hop farmer around mid 1880’s
  • YARRINGTON:
    • T. D. –
      • 3rd Mayor of Orting, 1892-1894

3 thoughts on “Orting

  1. I am Edith ((Engfer) and Henry Knaack’s granddaughter. There were nine children born from them, many grandchildren, etc. Most of us lived in Orting. They are also included in the Meeker mansion collection.
    Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s